Friday, January 31

January's Craft Challenge - My First Attempt at Paper Cutting

It's the last day of the month so the time to complete my January Challenge is up. I've been working for a few weeks now to create something inspired by the first page of the calendar I got free with a past issue of Craftseller Magazine.
This is the January page from my Craftseller calendar and is where I got my Woodland inspiration
When I first drew the ticket with 'Papercraft' on I was a little nervous. I used to make cards all the time but I wanted to step out of my comfort zone a bit so I thought I'd try something I've never done before.
Papercutting.
It's all the rage right now and there are some amazingly talented people out there who can do incredible things with only a piece if paper and a craft knife. I follow Paper Panda on Facebook to see the very skillful Louise Firchau's creations and am continuously blown away by her beautifully detailed work. I don't think I could do anything as fiddly as she does but I'm pretty impressed with my first ever effort...
It's not perfect but considering I drew it freehand and it was the first time I'd wielded a craft knife, I'd say it's a fair effort
It took a while to get there as I couldn't decide which way I wanted to go. I started with multiple layered trees on different coloured paper, then I decided to go with a single sheet of green paper and finally added some text.
All I used was a pencil, a piece of paper and a Xcut craft knife from Hobbycraft
If I do another papercutting project, I will add in some more connectors (tiny rectangles that join some parts together) into my design as some parts of this were a little 'flappy'
My favourite part of my piece is definitely the little carved heart on the tree bark with my initial in- it was tricky though
If you want to try papercutting (and you should, it's strangely relaxing and hugely rewarding) then check out this guide that I read before I picked up the knife. There's also tons of starter kits out there- Paper Panda does one that is too cute and definitely on my shopping list right now.
I've really enjoyed this months challenge so I'm hugely excited for next months (View the Challenge 'rules here and have a go). I'll be drawing the ticket in the first few days of February. I won't tell you what the calendar picture is of but I will say: it's very 'Valentine-y'! 
In related news- my mum has also finished her January challenge (She picked out a ticket with 'fashion' on) and she has made a beautiful woodland-themed bracelet . She may very well show you soon...

2 comments:

  1. I had a little go at papercutting myself a month or two ago, It is so addictive isn't it? I love your's, it's much more detailed than mine, still with practice I can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! I just had a look at yours though and they are lovely- I love the Mia one, it's really elegant!

      Delete