Monday, January 6

Momma's Birthday...

On Saturday it was my beautiful mother's birthday. She has had a hard time recently and-as well as the stuff going on in her life-she been an absolute rock for me. Now I've had my gallbladder surgery, I'm not allowed to pick Hayden up for a few weeks so her Nannie has had to take over...so much so that doing anything special for her birthday was impossible.
So I decided to make her a Homemade Cake. A homemade Lavender, Honey and Lemon cake.
I got the original recipe - for Lavender and Honey cake from Charlotte's Kitchen Diary but it had a glaze. I decided to change it up a little- I wanted to make it look all 'birthday-like' with some arty frosting I'd seen on Pinterest. However I was worried that with a slight lavender flavour, frosting the cake would be overly 'soapy' so I added a little lemon zest and juice to the cake mix to give it some zing.
The below is my version of the recipe but please do go at check out Charlotte's, (She's a food writer and her site has loads of amazing looking recipes that I really want to try)... next time I make this cake I will definitely be having a go at her glaze

(Makes a two-layered 8" sandwich cake)
For the cake:
280g butter
340g honey (A lot of squeezy bottles of honey have this much in which is ideal)
170g lavender sugar (I sieve the lavender buds out first)
Zest of 2 large lemons
Juice of 1/2 lemon
400g self raising flour
4 eggs
For the frosting:
240g butter
750g icing sugar
150ml of milk infused with lavender (Just pour it into a jug with some lavender buds, cover and leave in the fridge for a few hours)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste
Turquoise and purple gel colouring

Preheat the oven to 180C (or 160C for a fan oven)
Melt the butter, honey and sugar in a pan over a moderate heat and stir until combined
Pour melted mixture into a bowl and gradually mix in flour
Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and eggs and stir in
Grease two 8" cake tins and pour cake mixture into both equally
Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. (I was a little nervous when I saw this timing because all the cakes I've baked have taken half that, however it was fine and gave the cake a different-but lovely- texture)
For the frosting: *Note- The quantities above are for 3 lots of icing, which I made one at a time to save bowls and give the cake time to set between stages. So each of the 3 helpings of frosting use 80g butter, 250g icing sugar, 50ml lavender milk and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste)
To make the the frosting, cream butter in a bowl then gradually add the icing sugar until combined. Add milk and mix until the frosting is the correct consistency
Use the first helping of frosting to spread on top of one of your cakes, before placing the other cake on top. You will have a little leftover but that's okay- just make the next lot in the same bowl
With the second, use just over half to very thinly cover the cake all over. Add turquoise food colouring to the remaining frosting and mix in until you've achieved the colour you want
Finally the 3rd helping of frosting should be split into two bowls. Add a little purple colouring to one and substantially more purple to the other. How much depends on the type and brand of colouring you have- I had to use practically a whole tube to get the dark purple colour
Using the three coloured frostings, ice the cake. I won't go into too much detail, if you want to try it then you can see the blog entry and video tutorial (Vanilla Blackberry Mascarpone cake, yum) that inspired me here
I decorated the cake with some mini homemade bunting tied to wooden skewers and stuck in the cake


It was an absolutely delicious cake. A 'spring-will-be-here-before-you-know-it-cake'. Definitely a refreshing change from all the rich puddings and chocolatey food stuffs we've eaten this Christmas.
x

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post - hope everyone enjoyed this and your Mum had a super birthday! Thank you, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete