Sunday, November 16

Orange and Cranberry Muffins

I decided to ease myself into the long list of Christmas Baking that I have planned, with something that could well be enjoyed all year round but especially from Autumn onwards. The combination of sweet orange and juicy cranberry alway seems pretty festive to me though and are a zesty change from rich Christmas pudding and masses of chocolate selection boxes
It was the first time I've made big Muffins and they turned out really well!
(Makes 8)
256g flour
201g sugar
57g butter(melted)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest
150g  dried cranberries
300g sour cream
1 egg
1tbsp orange juice
For icing:
juice from orange
1 tsp orange zest
icing sugar

Preheat oven to 170C (Fan oven)
Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and then add the sugar, mixing until combined
Stir in orange zest and juice
Add the butter and vanilla and whisk gently
Whisk in sour cream, a little at a time
Fold the flour mix carefully into the wet mixture until you have a batter
Stir in cranberries evenly but be careful to not overmix
Spoon the batter into muffin cases (I used those fierce-looking ones you see in coffee places) and bake for about 24 mins (or until an inserted toothpick emerges clean) then leave to cool
To make the icing: Squeeze orange juice into a bowl - about a tablespoon to start with - then add a little icing sugar at a time. When the icing is not quite thick enough, stir in the zest so its evenly distributed. Then continue adding icing sugar until icing is just pipeable (Any thicker and it will start to taste of just icing sugar) *Alternatively, you could leave your icing a little thinner and just spoon it on like a glaze . .
When muffins are completely cooled, pipe on the icing and leave to set
Yes those are cookies in the background: Cranberry and Orange ones - I shall share those at a later date . I also made some Toblerone cookies from this recipe. I overworked the butter a little, I think, because they spread quite a lot, hence their absence from any photo. However they were so unbelievably good to eat. Make them now!
I'm excited about Christmas but have a ridiculous amount to do so nobody tell me there's only 5 1/2 weeks to go . . .
x

No comments:

Post a Comment