Monday, December 29

2014- The year that flew by....

I can't believe another 12 months has gone past, feels like it sped by. Saying that, so much has happened- We moved into our new home, I tried lots of new things craft-wise and Hayden has changed from a cheeky (chubby) baby to a beautiful - but mischievous- little girl. Here is a a bit of a lowdown of the year...

In July, Hayden and I moved into our home and it was certainly a blank canvas. I've done a lot already to make it look a bit more personal to us but there is still a lot to be done. I think when we first moved in, I expected to have it perfect within a few months but I soon realised that wasn't how building a home works. It's a long process and probably something that will never be 'finished' so it should be important to have fun doing it.
The flat as it was
When I look back at photos of Hayden from the beginning of the year, I can't believe how much she has changed! It's become a bit of a joke in our family because I'm convinced- in hindsight- that she looked like Justin Fletcher (if you don't know who that is, think yourself lucky) in a lot of photos. Then suddenly around April/May time, she seemed to change in her face so much. I'm not just saying this because I'm her Mom, she is incredibly beautiful..
2014 has certainly been a year of experimenting creatively, I've tried many different types of craft with varying degrees of success! Over the year, I've turned my hand to papercutting, upcycling furniture, cross-stitch, making cushions, decorating biscuits, weaving, among other things. Here are some of my favourites...
Cross-stitched Dreamcatcher for August Challenge
A huge selection of goodies for Mother's Day Afternoon Tea
An Easter Bunny Egg Holder
October's Challenge - An Autumn Embellished Cardigan for Hayden
Looking back at this blog over the last 12 months, I can definitely see an improvement, especially in the photography. I may have a long way still to go and lots left to learn but I am starting to develop my style and get a better idea of what I want my photos to look like. I'm still only using my phone to take pictures and, although I would love to get a DSLR camera in the future, for now I'm learning what apps work for me.
My recent baking photo is a lot more inviting than January's photo (top) and a picture of  last year's gift tags versus a sharper photo of this years (bottom)
 At the beginning of January, I wrote a post about my resolutions for the year. Here's how I got on...
'Find some interesting ways to record the year' - I wanted to find some ways to keep memories of the year so I would be able to show Hayden  when she was a little older. I looked a lot of different ideas and decided on a couple. I've kept a doodle-type diary everyday- some pages are a lot less interesting than others'
I also did Photo-a-day for 6 months or so (following Fat Mum Slim's prompts) and participating in that, as well as seeing pictures from other participants, is one of the things that has developed my photography skills.
Polka Dot
Fast
Pop of Colour
'Make a home' - Like I said earlier, there's still a good deal of work left to do on the flat, and there may always will be. I'm hoping that the main parts - like shelving in the kitchen and furniture in my bedroom will be done in the next 6 months or so.
'Read more' - Yeah, you can definitely mark this as a fail. I suck.
'Set up a Facebook page or an online shop' - I still do want to sell the stuff I make- eventually. I've decided it's so important to hone my craft skills and really take the time to learn and experiment so I can find the direction I want to go in. So I have no plans to do this in the immediate future.
'Use Happier regularly' - Yeah, no. I can be a fickle beast, especially when it's phone apps versus photos for memory space...
'Keep baking and hopefully get better at it' - This one I have definitely stuck to! I have made a lot of cakes and biscuits over 2014, some have been a wash out but generally I would say I've developed, especially in my presentation. When I remember the cakes I made last Christmas and compare them to this years Christmas bakes, there's a definite improvement - not just visually but also in taste.

And if you've been here before, you'll notice the blog has a bit of  new look for the new year - hope you like!

I'm going to spend the next few days thinking about if I want to make any 2015 resolutions and, if so, what I want them to be...
Until then, have a happy New Year!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment